SafeWork warns businesses of the risk of electric shock or electrocution where electrical supply has not been de-energised - 1.10.20
SafeWork SA is reminding businesses of the risk of electric shock or electrocution where electrical supply has not been de-energised.
Two separate incidents in less than one month prompted SafeWork SA to issue the safety reminder. A plumber was fatally electrocuted when installing a hot water system at a property. In another incident, an electrician working in a roof cavity space received critical injuries from electric shock while working on an air conditioning unit.
Both incidents happened because power had not been properly de-energised.
SafeWork SA says the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 requires the regulator to be notified of certain ‘notifiable incidents’. Some types of work-related dangerous incidents must be notified even if no one is injured.
SafeWork SA has received 267 notifications of electric shock or risk of electric shock across most industries over the past 12 months.