News

Worker injured due to substandard machine guarding - 13.2.19

Toilet paper manufacturer Cottonsoft Ltd received a sentencing decision in the Manukau District Court yesterday after a worker was hurt on inadequately guarded machinery. The sentencing followed a January 2017 incident where the worker sustained crush injuries, degloving and lacerations after his arms were caught in rollers. He also... Read more.

Timber company fined after two workers sustain serious injuries - 5.2.19

Two similar health and safety failings within three months have cost Rotorua timber company Claymark Limited over $680,000 in fines, reparations and costs. WorkSafe says that one serious injury on a company’s watch is bad enough, but that a second in close succession shows an unacceptable approach to worker... Read more.

Local standards not being met - 19.11.18

New Zealand has clearly defined standards for how machinery should be guarded, and WorkSafe says they’re still not being met by too many companies. “Too many workers are being seriously injured as a result of substandard guarding,” says WorkSafe’s Head of Specialist Interventions Simon Humphries. Locker Group (NZ) Ltd... Read more.

Electrical company fined $300K over apprentice’s death - 23.10.18

A Melbourne electrical company has been fined $300,000 after an apprentice electrician died from electrocution while working at a Camberwell property in Victoria. The company pleaded guilty in the Melbourne Magistrate’s Court to two charges under Section 21 of the OHS Act for failing to ensure, as far as... Read more.

Vic apprentice dies in confined space - 8.10.18

A 20-year-old apprentice has died while working inside an open-ended tank in Melbourne Thursday morning. It is believed the man was working with power tools at a Cranbourne West business when he was overcome with fumes in the confined space, about 10am, WorkSafe Victoria said in a statement. An investigation to... Read more.